The perfect Indian-style egg fried rice is a quick and easy meal that you can whip up on any day of the week. The recipe for this delicious dish takes just minutes to make, so if your stomach growls at noon, have no fear – there’s always time to prepare an authentic home chef meal.
HOW TO MAKE EGG FRIED RICE (Stepwise Instruction with IMAGES)
Making Scrambled Eggs
1. Into a heating pot, add cooking oil 1+1/2 tbsp and let it heat a bit. before adding any ingredient.
2. Then, cook and scramble 2 eggs and keep them aside to add in your fried rice later. You can also prepare the eggs during frying the vegetables.
Making Egg Fried Rice
3. Add 2 tbsp of cooking oil into a heating pot and heat it a bit.
4. Now add 1 tbsp of finely chopped ginger-garlic into the oil.
5. Sauté the ginger-garlic for about 1 minute on medium to high heat. This releases the garlic flavor into the oil making your fried rice more delicious. Try not to overcook the ginger garlic to avoid burning.
6. After this, add diced green capsicum 1/2 cup, diced red capsicum 1/2 cup, diced green chili 1 pc large, diced yellow capsicum 1/2 cup, diced carrot 1/2 cup, diced onion 1/2 cup. Not to worry if you don’t have some or any of these vegetables available, feel free to add different vegetables instead.
7. Sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes on medium to high heat or high heat. Frying the vegetables on high heat will keep the texture of the vegetables crunchy. Try not to cook the vegetables on low heat, otherwise, the vegetables will release their moisture and will become soft and soggy.
8. After Sautéing the vegetables, add 1 tbsp of vinegar and 1 tbsp of soya sauce.
Cooking Tip: Usually, soya sauces purchased from the market have different concentrations. Some are thick in texture whereas some are light (or less concentrated). The one we use in our recipe is medium. Therefore comparatively you can add less or more based on your soya sauce concentration level.
9. Give it a good stir on high heat.
10. After stirring, add 2 tbsp of tomato ketchup and stir it for some more time.
11. After, add 1+1/2 cup boiled rice to it. Leftover rice also can be used for this recipe.
12. Mix and stir the rice with vegetables thoroughly for about 2 – 3 minutes.
13. Add already prepared scrambled eggs to the rice.
14. After this, add 1 tbsp of salt and 1 tsp pepper into it.
15. Give everything a good stir for few seconds.
16. Garnish it with spring onion and serve it hot with some side dish, sauce, or ketchup.
About Egg Fried Rice
The fried rice recipe was first developed in China, but nowadays it is widely cooked and eaten in various parts of the world. Every region adds its own flavors – spices and twists to the recipe. The fried rice we have for you is widely cooked in the south Asian subcontinent, we have added some Indian spices and flavors by having the base of the recipe the same. We add egg to the recipe hence – Egg fried rice.
Basically, fried rice is a method of cooking the rice (and the type of rice used), and during the preparation, you can add various main ingredients to the rice to make it an egg fried rice – chicken fried rice – veg. fried rice etc. The recipe which we are going to show you is a simple, easy and very delicious one.
If you do not find all ingredients at your home, feel free to tweak or change the ingredients and flavors keeping the recipe base the same, we are sure it would still turn out as delicious. The fried rice is a quickly prepared dish and is generally seen as a fast street food type.
The steps are very straightforward and easy to follow in our recipe video. Follow and try the recipe at home – and comment below how it turned out!
Main Ingredients used in Egg Fried Rice
You can’t have egg-fried rice without eggs. And you don’t need to worry about cooking the eggs before or with vegetables, because it’s easy and fast.
Did you know that eggs are also a great source of protein and make your recipe really delicious, tasty, and healthy? They can do so much for cooking without making it overly complicated.
Adding a lot of vegetables to your egg-fried rice is the best way to make it healthy and delicious. The vegetables should stay crunchy and crisp for this recipe.
Note: If you want to make sure that your egg-fried rice is a hit with everyone, do not overcook the vegetables. The texture and taste will be enhanced when they are cooked just right. We are going to show you how different vegetables can be used in this dish. There is no wrong way of doing it, just go with what tastes good.
Cooking Tip: When sauteing vegetables, keep the flame on high to prevent them from releasing their moisture. If you don’t do this and they release too much water, your veggies will become soggy.
Rice is an essential ingredient in many Asian dishes, and it’s always a good idea to have some leftover rice on hand, just in case. When using leftover or cold white long-grain (or brown) rice, the texture will be perfect for any type of fried Rice dish.
Cooking Tip: You can prepare your rice a day in advance or the same day for this recipe, but remember that you should not overcook it. To get the best and crispiest rice for this recipe, make sure to keep it cold or rinse it with cool water after boiling.
We wanted to give our recipe a Chinese vibe, so we added some simple ingredients like soy sauce, vinegar, and tomato sauce.
You won’t need any more than a few sauces in order to make this dish taste great. But you can also add oyster sauce and chili sauce for extra flavor if you prefer the more Chinese way of cooking it.
What to serve with Egg Fried Rice
You can serve your egg fried rice hot with a side of curry and, for something more refreshing, any other dry dish. There are few side dishes that you can easily serve with your egg fried rice to enjoy the meal that are :
Kadai Paneer etc.
Quick Egg Fried RiceCourse: Main CourseCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
For those who are looking for a way to make their meals look impressive without spending much time on them, Indian-style egg fried rice is perfect. The dish has all the flair of your favorite takeout that’s packed with fresh vegetables and protein from eggs cooked in Chinese sauces. It can be made quickly during busy days when you need something great tasting but quick.
1+1/2 Cup Boiled Rice
2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
1 Tbsp Diced Ginger Garlic
1/2 Cup Diced Green Capsicum
1/2 Cup Diced Red Capsicum
1/2 Cup Diced Yellow Capsicum
1 Diced Green Chili
1/2 Cup Diced Carrot
1/2 Cup Diced Onion
1 Tbsp Vinegar
1 Tbsp Soya Sauce
2 Tbsp Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp Salt (or based on taste)
1 Tsp Black Pepper Powder
As Garnish Green Spring Onion
- Prepare The Scrambled Eggs ~
- Add cooking oil 1+1/2 Tbsp into the heating pot, when the oil heats add eggs and scrambled them, once ready keep it aside.
- Prepared The Fried Rice ~
- Add cooking oil 2 Tbsp into a heating pan, add chopped ginger-garlic 1 tbsp and cook it for 1 minute (medium to high flame).
- After that add diced green capsicum 1/2 cup, diced red capsicum 1/2 cup, diced green chili 1 large, diced yellow capsicum 1/2 cup, diced carrot 1/2 cup, diced onion 1/2 cup, and cook it for 5-6 minutes (medium to high flame).
- Then add vinegar 1 tbsp, soya sauce 1 tbsp, tomato sauce 2 tbsp, and stir it for some time.
- Add boiled rice 1+1/2 cup and stir it thoroughly for 2-3 minutes after that add scrambled eggs into it.
- Finally, add salt 1 tbsp, black pepper powder1 tsp, and mix it for a minute.
- Serve hot with some fresh green onions as garnish.
- We didn’t include the time to boil the rice in our recipe. Since different equipment and cooking styles can vary the boiling time, we thought it best to leave it to your style.
- We used Basmati Rice in the recipe.
- Use salt based on your taste and diet requirement, although we have used some measurements.
2 servings per container
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 2.3g 12%
- Cholesterol 109mg 37%
- Sodium 2741mg 115%
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Potassium 360mg 11%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2.9g 12%
- Sugars 3.4g
- Protein 11.8g 24%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What kind of rice should we use?
You can use any type of rice to prepare egg-fried rice. Long-grain basmati or regular white, which you may already have at home, are both great options.
If you don’t have basmati or any regular type of rice, you can substitute any other type of Chinese Japanese or Korean rice to get a more authentic fried rice texture.
Q. How to manage the spice level?
Preparing egg-fried rice can be a versatile process. You are allowed to adjust the amount of chili sauce or green chili peppers you want in your dish, depending on how much spice you prefer.
If you’re cooking egg-fried rice for kids, avoid adding in too many spicy flavors and reduce the number of chilies while cooking.
Q. How to make it more healthy?
Egg fried rice is a quick and easy meal that you can whip up in minutes but it could always be healthier. If you add some vegetables to the mix, your dish will not only taste better but also have more nutritional value.
Overcooking vegetables can lead to their loss of crunchy texture, but more importantly, they will lose vital nutrients.
Brown rice is a healthier option than white rice, and using olive oil to prepare egg brown rice together with vegetables makes the meal even more nutritious.
Q. Can we cook the egg separately or with the veggies?
You can cook the eggs and vegetables together or separate. Either way, it’s delicious!