Want the definition of irresistible? Fried juicy pieces of chicken on a stick marinated in a mix of spices and yogurt. And to top it off, a delicious creamy sauce to go with it. And now that’s what we call a Dahi Lasooni Chicken Tikka.
HOW TO MAKE DAHI LASOONI CHICKEN TIKKA (Stepwise Instruction with VIDEO)
Marinating The Chicken
1. In a small bowl, prepare the marination for the tikka, for this take 1/4 cup of curd and add 1 tbsp garlic paste, 1 tbsp ginger chili paste, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp red chili flakes, 1 tsp black pepper powder and 1 tsp salt.
2. Mix the spices powder with the curd well.
3. Take 400 gm of boneless chicken pieces in a large bowl.
4. Add the prepared curd spices mix into the chicken pieces for marination.
5. Mix the chicken pieces with the curd and keep it aside for an hour at the least.
Preparing The Garlic Sauce
6. Take a saucepan and let it heat on flame for a minute or so. Then, add 2 tbsp of butter into it and let it melt on low heat, as high heat can burn the butter.
7. Now add 2 tbsp of chopped garlic into the butter and fry it for about 2-3 minutes till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
GENERAL TIPS: Adding garlic is very important as it is the main ingredient to prepare the garlic sauce. You can use the same amount as we use here to prepare the garlic sauce or you can add a bit more to have more garlic flavor to your sauce. We recommend freshly prepared garlic paste for good taste but store-bought garlic paste also can be used. The combination of garlic with butter is really delicious and brings your sauce to the next level.
8. Add 1/2 cup of cooking cream to it and cook it on low heat. Stir it a bit.
GENERAL TIPS: Adding cream will bring creaminess and a great soft texture to the garlic sauce and help reduce the pungent garlicky flavor. Remember to keep the heat on low avoid burning the cream that can easily destroy the texture of the garlic sauce.
9. After this add 1 tbsp of oregano, 1/2 tsp of black pepper powder, and 1/4 tsp of salt and mix everything well. Cook everything on medium to low heat until you will get a thick consistency of the sauce as shown in our tutorial video.
GENERAL TIPS: Note that you can always adjust the salt on your preference. Since salt is also present in the cheese we add to the recipe in later stages, some cheese brands are saltier. So, accordingly, you can adjust the salt from that of what we follow.
10. Now, add 1 slice of Cheddar cheese to it and mix it well to let it melt into the sauce properly. Although cheddar cheese works well for this recipe, you can add any type of cheese according to availability.
11. Finally add 3 tbsp of freshly chopped coriander and mix it well. Cook the sauce for 1 – 2 minutes or until you get a perfect texture. Adding coriander into the sauce will give a vibrant bright green color, freshness, and amazing flavors to it.
Preparing The Chicken Tikka
12. Add 1/2 tbsp of cooking oil to the marinated chicken pieces and give it a good mix.
General Tips: Adding cooking oil just before frying is a better method of marination. If you add the cooking oil at the beginning of the imagination, the oil blocks the flavors of the marination spices to seep into the chicken.
13. Now Start placing the chicken pieces into the skewers.
GENERAL TIP: Soak your bamboo skewers in water for some time before adding chicken pieces into it. Do not overload the skewers with chicken pieces to avoid undercooked chicken pieces.
14. Now, spread 2 tsp of cooking oil into the frying pan and spread it well.
15. After the cooking oil is enough heated, start placing the tikka on the frying pan and cook each side for about 2-3 minutes on medium to high heat.
16. Cook the tikka properly from all sides. You can also reduce the heat a little to slow-cook your tikka for better consistency in frying. Remember to rotate each side while frying so the tikka is well cooked and tender from the inside.
17. Now the delicious Dahi lasooni chicken tikka is ready to serve.
18. While serving them warm you can pour the delicious garlic sauce and enjoy.
About the recipe “Dahi Lasooni Chicken Tikka”
Dahi lasooni chicken tikka is a new appetizer you should add to your menu after trying this recipe. Making it requires marinating the boneless pieces of chicken in yogurt and garlic for few hours before frying them.
This creamy and flavorful dish is best served with rice, naan, paratha, or chapati. It’s relatively simple to make a vegetarian version by substituting chicken for vegetables such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, and paneer. I recommend adding creamy garlic sauce before serving it.
What is a Tikka?
Tikka is a traditional north Indian dish made up of pieces of meat or vegetables marinated in yogurt and spices. It can be eaten either as an appetizer before your main course, but it’s also frequently accompanied by rice to serve as the meal itself.
Tikkas are small pieces of meat or vegetables that can be grilled. They’re usually attached to skewers before cooking them.
To make tikka flavorful, it is marinated in spices so that the flavors are properly absorbed.
Importance of Marination to prepare Tikka?
Marination is a step that should not be overlooked, as it plays an important role in making tikkas. The same goes for vegetarian and non-vegetarian options alike.
Marinating the chicken is going to give it a lot of flavor and taste. It’s important that you marinate them for at least 30 minutes before frying or grilling because this step will allow those flavors from the spices to absorb into the meat.
Example Marination Step from the Recipe Chicken 65
Marinating the chicken pieces helps keep them moist and tender as they cook. This is because marinades contain oil that coats the meat, keeping it from becoming dry until cooking brings out its natural juices.
To make our dahi lasooni chicken tikka, we are also marinating the chicken pieces into the curd and spice mix to give our tikkas a boost of flavor. Then we add a good amount of garlic into the curd for the marination. This will bring out more flavor in order to create an unforgettable dish.
You can change the amount of garlic in your marinade according to taste, but if you add a little more it will not ruin other flavors–it will just enhance them.
Why is preparing the Garlic Sauce the key for this recipe?
One of the most important steps for this chicken tikka recipe is making our garlic sauce. You will want to make sure you are using a good amount of garlic and cream because it will provide a huge amount of flavor to your tasty chicken skewers.
This garlic sauce will only be used to provide the main flavors for dahi lasooni chicken tikka. Lasooni itself means garlic, so using the garlic sauce alone would give you a very close flavor profile of what it should taste like.
To make this garlic sauce even more flavorful, add some cream and cheese. This will not only enhance its rich taste but also transform the consistency to creamy. As a result of adding these ingredients to tikkas, they too become extremely delicious with an exquisite aroma.
Tips to prepare Dahi Lasooni Chicken Tikka the right way
The delicious Dahi Lasuni Chicken Tikka can be made at home easily within minutes if you know how to do it properly for which we will provide some simple yet important tips below:
1. Chicken Pieces
2. Marination of chicken
Tikka is known for having a unique and delicious flavor to it, but marination plays an integral role in making this happen. If you skip the step of letting your tikka sit with its spices and yogurt mix or lemon juice then you will lose out on all those flavors that make up such a good dish.
3. Using skewers
4. Frying of Tikka
5. Making garlic sauce
You can serve Dahi lasooni chicken tikka as a starter, appetizer, or side dish in your meal. Try serving these with some garlic sauce, green chutney, or curd raita.
Add that delectable tikka and freshly baked naan to your meal, then add the garlic sauce on top. You could make a delicious Tikka roll too by adding all of these.
You can also serve them with a chilled soft drink or any type of juice.
You can also serve this recipe as a side with biryani’s & other rice recipes like:
Other Tikka Recipes to check out
Chicken Malai Tikka
Easy Chicken Tikka – Regular & Evergreen Style
Dahi Lasooni | Curd & Garlic Chicken TikkaCourse: Appetizers, Side DishCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Hard
Chicken tikka with the flavor of garlic & curd gives it a special taste than the regular chicken tikka’s – the recipe is also locally called dahi lasooni tikka – a delicious chicken starter recipe – learn this awesome recipe with easy to follow steps and video tutorials by Urban Teapot!
- Marinating the chicken
1/4 cup Curd
1 tbsp Garlic paste
1 tbsp Ginger chili paste
1 tsp Cumin powder
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Black pepper powder
1 tsp Salt
400 gm Chicken boneless
1/2 tbsp Cooking oil
- Preparing the Garlic Sauce
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Garlic chopped
1/2 cup Cooking cream
1 tbsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Black pepper powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Chili flakes
1 Slice Cheddar cheese
3 tbsp Coriander fresh
- Frying Chicken Tikka
2 tsp Cooking oil
- Marinating the Chicken
- Into a bowl, add curd 1/4 cup, garlic paste 1 tbsp, ginger chili paste 1 tbsp, oregano 1 tsp, cumin powder 1 tsp, red chili flakes 1/2 tsp, black pepper powder 1 tsp, salt 1 tsp – mix everything well and keep it aside.
- Into a large bowl, take chicken boneless 400 gm and add the already prepared curd mixture into it – mix and let it marinate for about 1 hour.
- Preparing the Garlic Sauce
- Into a heating saucepan, add butter 2 tbsp and let it melt on low heat to avoid burning.
- Add chopped garlic 2 tbsp and let it fry for 2-3 minutes till the raw smell goes off.
- Add cooking cream 1/2 cup and let it cook on low heat.
- Add oregano 1 tbsp, black pepper powder 1/2 tsp, salt 1/4 tsp, and let it cook on low heat until it gets thick.
- Add Sliced cheddar cheese 1 slice and let it melt properly.
- Finally, add freshly chopped coriander 3 tbsp and cook till the sauce is thick and consistent.
- Preparing Chicken Tikka
- Add cooking oil 1/2 tbsp into the marinated chicken tikka and mix well.
- Start putting tikkas into the skewers.
- Then into a heating frying pan add cooking oil 2 tsp and spread it well with the help of an oil brush.
- Let the oil heat for a min or 2, then start placing the tikkas on the frying pan – cook each side for about 2-3 minutes on medium to high heat.
- Fry the tikkas until they are properly tender and well cooked.
- Take out the tikkas into a plate – spread the prepared garlic sauce on the tikkas.
- The Dahi Lasooni Tikka is ready!
- You could also grill the chicken tikkas on charcoal or in the oven.
- You can also keep the chicken tikka for marination overnight.
3 servings per container
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 13.7g 69%
- Cholesterol 146mg 49%
- Sodium 1592mg 67%
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Potassium 174mg 5%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.4g 6%
- Sugars 0.5g
- Protein 40g 80%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the key ingredient in this recipe?
It’s within the name of the recipe itself, “Dahi lasooni” i.e, yogurt and garlic. Although every ingredient plays an equal part in making the dish delicious, these two are the main takeaway.
Q. Where is Dahi lasooni chicken tikka famously known?
In every Indian restaurant, or you will find it is well known throughout the Indian subcontinent due to its origins. It is a splendid snack enjoyed on all occasions.
Q. What is the difference between normal chicken tikka and Dahi lasooni chicken tikka?
Although these two contain basically similar ingredients and spices, the taste of yogurt and garlic stand out in the Dahi lasooni chicken tikka exquisitely. You may observe this in the color of the dish itself. Follow our Regular Chicken Tikka Recipe.